As part of Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University's mission to empower women leadership in scientific research, contribute to building a global knowledge-based economy, and support the 2030 vision of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia that aims to invest in national potentials and evaluate international expertise to build the future of the Kingdom, the Deanship of Scientific Research has launched a Visiting Researcher Program that will bring together scholars from prestigious universities worldwide to enhance the capabilities of PNU's researchers. Creating a collaborative, cohesive scientific environment will help to establish collaborations in the field of research and enable the institution to compete on a global scale.
B. Program Description:
As part of this program, PNU collaborates with international researchers, experts, and consultants, who have been selected in accordance with previously established standards. By assigning tasks to visiting researchers, the program is intended to increase the competitiveness of PNU researchers, enhance the quality of their scientific research, and attain world research excellence.
C. Program objective:
Boost and enhance the university's scientific research capabilities and refine the scientific research skills of both faculty and students.
Create a conducive environment for collaboration with distinguished researchers from different universities and research center, both locally and internationally.
Increase scientific publication in high-impact scientific journals.
Improve the quality and international classification of scientific publishing at the university and increase the rate of citations for the university's research.
D. Duration of the Program:
This contract has a one-year term from the date of signing. After obtaining the approval of the Deanship of Scientific Research, the contract may be extended for a similar period.
E. Visiting Researcher Selection Criteria:
1. The visiting researcher will be selected either from a list of highly cited WoS researchers, announced annually, or from faculty members (professors) affiliated with one of the top 200 universities in the Shanghai World Classification, based on the scientific reputation and international academic experience of the field of specialization.
2. An international award or patent in the field of specialization, or an invention registered in an international organization, would be preferable for the visiting researcher.
F. Co-researcher and Visiting Researcher Responsibilities:
1. A research proposal based on the researcher's field of specialization must be presented with the co-principal researcher from Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University prior to the contract being signed.
2. Research participation and development of scientific research and publication skills with researchers at Princess Noura University are among the objectives of the visiting researcher. In addition to creating an environment that encourages the development of innovative ideas and leverages them into investment projects, or to participate in the creation of patents in advanced scientific fields with researchers from the university.
3. During the first six months of the contract period, two visits are required:
A- One visit by a visiting researcher to Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University.
B- One visit by a co-researcher from Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University to the visiting researcher’s university.
4. As part of his visit, the visiting researcher will present lectures and workshops (on campus) to university employees (at least three workshops or lectures) and participate in conferences, seminars and events sponsored by the visiting researcher’s university.
5.To publish at least two original papers (Articles).
G. Conditions for accepting published research:
1. Publication of TWO original research articles in WOS core collection scientific journals with an impact factor of the following 2 citation indicators:
Science Citation Index Expanded (SCIE) or
Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI) Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4
Research published in WoS emerging sources or in journals with no impact factor will not be accepted.
2. It is required that the affiliation with the University and acknowledgment of the financial support provided by the Deanship of Scientific Research at Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University be indicated in published research, stating the project number as follows:
“The authors extend their appreciation to the Deanship of Scientific Research at Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University for funding this work through the Visiting researcher Program”
3. Predatory Journals as well as blacklisted publishers, as stated in the circular letter of His Excellency the Vice Rector for Postgraduate Studies and Scientific Research No. 16997, dated 5/1/1440 should be avoided. You can find a list of Predatory Journals in the following links:
4. Double affiliation is not allowed, the first and only affiliation of PNU researchers should be in accordance to the following form:
Department name ………… / College name ………….. / Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
5. Correspondence of PNU researchers with the journal shall be done via the university’s official e-mail only.
6. Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University employees are permitted to participate in published scientific papers without incurring financial obligations to the Deanship of Scientific Research. The participation of researchers from other Saudi or Arab universities is, however, prohibited.
7. A pledge of intellectual property must be made by each researcher participating in the research project using the approved form.
8. It is necessary to obtain the approval of the PNU Scientific Research Ethics Committee before beginning the project. Should local and international research ethics be violated, the Deanship of Scientific Research has the authority to take appropriate action.
9. The compliance with the plagiarism check criteria set forth by the PNU Scientific Council, No. [151/12] at its twelfth session held on 17/5/1440 AH.
10. Participating directly or indirectly in any work for any party whose interests conflict with those of the university or the state is prohibited.
H. Co-researcher from PNU Responsibilities:
1. A co-researcher should be nominated based on the abundance of scientific publications he or she has published on the Top Academia website.
2. Must be of Saudi nationality.
3. For the co-researcher to be eligible for the reward in accordance with Article 12, Paragraph H of the Unified Regulations for Scientific Research in Universities, he/ she must not be on a communication or academic sabbatical, or any other leave that prevents him from working full-time during the contract period.
In addition to participating in research with the visiting researcher, the participating co-researcher has the following responsibilities:
1. Communicate with the visiting researcher, fill out the application forms, submit the research plan and organize the visiting researcher’s visits in terms of accommodation, transportation, workshops, and scientific lectures
2. Follow up on the progress of work, submit periodic reports and requests for extension (if needed), review all justifications, verify their completeness and compliance with the conditions, and that they are in accordance with the research plan approved by the Deanship of Scientific Research, communicate with the visiting researcher and inform him/ her of all the developments and controls approved by the Deanship of Scientific Research.
3. Communicate effectively with the Deanship of Scientific Research in all matters related to the project and the contract.
I. How to apply to the program?
1. In order to develop a clear research plan that outlines the course of action during the research contract period, the co-researcher from PNU contacts the visiting researcher.
2. Fill out the required forms and ensure that team members from the University are not on a communication or academic sabbatical, or any other leave that prevents him from working full-time during the contract period.
3. Request a recommendation from the departmental council and then the college council.
4. Submit a request to the Vice Rectorate of Publishing Affairs in the Deanship of Scientific Research in order to have the application studied by the Permanent Committee for Development and Quality in the Field of Scientific Publishing,
5. Present the application to the Deanship of Scientific Research Council.
The Vice Deanship for Scientific Publishing Affairs communicates with the co-researcher from PNU and the visiting researcher to sign the contract once the minutes of the Council of the Deanship of Scientific Research have been approved by the authorized person.
• The funding amount for the visiting researcher is 130,000 (one hundred and thirty thousand Riyals only), paid as follows:
Research cost is 80,000 (Eighty thousand) Riyals:
1. 50,000 (fifty thousand) Riyals as a reward transferred to visiting research in two payments:
• 25,000 riyals upon signing the contract
• 25,000 riyals upon completion of the contract requirements, publishing the two scientific papers, and accepting the final report.
2. A maximum of 30,000 (Thirty thousand) Riyals shall be transferred to the co-researcher in two payments:
• 20,000 riyals upon signing the contract, which includes the co-researcher’s reward of 14,400 riyals as stipulated in Article (12) paragraph (h) in the unified regulation for scientific research in universities
• 10,000 Riyals upon completion of the contract requirements (above), including all publishing costs, supplies, and equipment (which will be disbursed according to the submitted invoices).
The costs of the two visits are 50,000 (fifty thousand) Riyals (delivered to the co-researcher upon signing the contract):
• A maximum of 25,000 (twenty-five thousand) Riyals to cover the costs of the visiting researcher's visit to Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University.
• A maximum of 25,000 (twenty-five thousand) Riyals to cover the costs of the university's co-researcher's visit to the visiting researcher’s university headquarters.
The cost includes tickets, housing, and transportation expenses for both the visiting researcher and the co-researcher and is disbursed according to the rules and regulations of the university. The university is not responsible for any additional costs.
K. Organizing the visit in accordance with the following guidelines:
1. It is the co-researcher's responsibility to fill out all the necessary forms well in advance of the visit in the following manner:
▪ Approval of the date and program of the visit by the Deanship of Scientific Research.
▪ Obtaining the necessary approvals at the university, including obtaining a government visa and making reservations for flights and accommodations.
2. A maximum of two weeks will be allowed for the visit.