Emanating from the objectives the University seeks to realize which include playing a positive role in the scientific research field which contributes in the advancement and development of the knowledge-based economy; and based on the believes the Deanship holds pertaining the great importance of scientific research in the process of development; the Deanship offers the Future Pioneers Program to activate the role of undergraduate students (Bachelor's), and postgraduate students (Master's and Ph.D.) in the scientific research field. This program is concerned with the undergraduate and postgraduate students to enhance their skills and provide the financial funding (for research projects). This would realize the University's visions of development in supporting the efficient students and preparing them for future leadership roles.
• Boosting research activity in the University
• Devoting attention to research and development
• Enhancing the concept of scientific research among students and raising the awareness of its importance
• Training students on scientific research methodologies and preparing them to contribute to the University and society service
• Encouraging students to engage in competitions
• Establishing a promising generation of researcher students
• Building the concept of teamwork.
The funded research project:
An achievement that is based on recognized scientific foundations that is carried out by one or more faculty members in collaboration with an undergraduate student It is optional to include consultants, lecturers, and teaching assistants to serve one or more scientific disciplines which are of interest to the University. The achievement may be a theoretical work (research, investigation) which aims at contributing in the literature of the related field. Also, it may be an applied work made to obtain results to corroborate previous research to enrich the field that is being studied.
Accordingly, Future Pioneers Funding Program is classified as:
1. Theoretical Research
2. Applied research (Including laboratory and clinical research)
1. The project duration shall not exceed (12) months.
2. The maximum allocated funds shall not exceed (25.000) SR.
3. The minimum expected outcome of the research projects is publishing one scientific paper. (Article) in WoS indexed journals only (Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4) when applying for funding. Papers published in WoS emerging source or in journals that do not have an impact factor are not accepted.
The researcher applies for this program to the Deanship of Scientific Research through the research center of the college the researcher affiliates to.
1.The principal investigator shall be a faculty member at Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University when applying for funding and shall not be on a sabbatical leave, scientific contact or exceptional leave during the Contract period (if the faculty member is a contractor, a proof shall be enclosed showing that the faculty member will be on duty in the University for at least one whole year starting from the date of signing the contract). The principal investigator may play the same role for more than one research project or research group throughout one year.
2. PNU affiliated alternative researcher must be nominated to be responsible for the project when needed.
3.The number PNU undergraduate students must not be less than one student in the research team.
4. The number PNU affiliated researchers must not be less than one third of the members of the research team, and at least one of them should be Saudi nationals The number of international researchers should not exceed one-third of the team.
5. The research project applied for funding shall not be completed before applying for funding.
6. The project submitted for funding should not be derived from a scientific letter or book.
7. The principal investigator from scientific, engineering and medical specialties shall sign an acknowledgment of the distinguished publishing in WoS only when applying for project funding. Humanities and Social Sciences researchers shall sign an acknowledgment of the distinguished publishing in WoS and Scopus (Q1-Q3) when applying for project funding.
8. All researchers participating in the research project has to make a pledge of the intellectual property of the project using the approved form.
9. The principal investigator and members of the research project must obtain the approval of PNU Scientific Research Ethics Committee. DSR has the right to take action if local and international scientific research ethics are violated.
10. After obtaining the approval of funding, the research team shall not make any major changes to the project, in particular (the project type, project subject, project methodological plan, project budget). Such changes may be possible if approved by The Permanent Committee.
11. The commitment not to make changes in the project's team members without obtaining the approval from the Deanship of Scientific Research.
12. The term of the contract is one year from the date of signing it. The contract can be extended for a similar period after obtaining the approval of the Deanship of Scientific Research.
13. The researcher can extend the duration of the research by applying to the Deanship of Scientific Research at least thirty (30) days before the project completion date, including the following:
a. A justification for the additional time required to complete the project, explaining what has been accomplished to the date of submitting the extension request.
b. Steps required to complete the remaining parts of the research during the extension period. This shall not be valid without a written consent from the Deanship of Scientific Research.
c. Attachment of the workflow form.
14. If the period specified for the research project is over and the project has not been completed, the Permanent Committee may grant the researcher or the research team an additional period to complete the project, provided that this period does not exceed six months and does not entail any additional financial dues. This extension shall be granted only twice.
15. Should the principal investigator leave the University before the completion of the funded research project, the principal investigator shall submit a report to the Deanship of Scientific Research with a request to assign an alternative researcher to be responsible for the project. After the report is presented to The Permanent Committee for Following-up Research Projects Funding, the Committee recommends as deemed appropriate.
16. Should the research project team not complete the basic research for any reason, the Council of the Deanship of Scientific Research, upon the recommendation by The Permanent Committee for Following-up Research Projects Funding, will follow one of the two options:
a) Stop the research project and refund the remaining financial allocations to the University's research budget.
b) Complete the research project by delegating the role of the principle investigator to another member of the research group or to another researcher from outside the University. Consequently, the dues of the principal investigator are obtained by the alternative researcher.
17. The final report, invoices, final financial report form, and receipt of invoices delivery have to be submitted after the end of the research project along with the published papers as stated in the contract.
18. The submission of the final technical report of the research project does not mean the end of the involvement of the research team in fulfilling any obligations or requirements in case of a request to cover the shortfalls in the submitted report, or to complete any of the objectives to be achieved in the research, without incurring any further finical obligations on the Deanship of Scientific Research.
Conditions for Accepting Published Research Papers:
1. Publication of an original research paper, published as an "Article".
2. Published papers shall be original research papers (Article) published in WoS indexed journals only (Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4). Papers published in WoS emerging source or in journals that do not have an impact factor are not accepted.
3. Predatory Journals should be avoided as well as blacklisted publishers as stated in No. 16997, dated 5/1/1440.
You can find a list of Predatory Journals in the following links:
4. The first and only affiliation of PNU researchers should be in the following form:
Department name/ College name/ Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University
Double affiliation is not allowed.
5. Correspondence with the journal shall be done via the university official e-mail only.
6. The official university e-mail is the only email that can be added in the affiliation for all members of the research team who are affiliated with the university.
7. The acknowledgment of the financial funding by the Deanship of Scientific Research at Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University shall be indicated in the published research, mentioning the project's number in the published research as in the following:
This research project was funded by the Deanship of Scientific Research, Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University, through the Pioneer Researcher Funding Program, Grant No xxx-x-x
8. The commitment to include all the project members' names who participated in the published research.
9. The research team shall not publish with researchers or in journals from countries or entities that have no diplomatic relations with KSA. The University disclaims any responsibility for any consequence arising from such papers.
10. Research papers published before the date of the contract's signature shall not be included as one of the project's achievements.
11. Research papers that include acknowledgment to different parties in the University other than the Projects Funding Program in the Deanship of Scientific Research shall not be accepted.
12. 25% of the fund will be deducted for each acknowledgment made for any external party other than Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University.
13. Adherence to the rules and ethics of scientific research.
14. Compliance with the plagiarism check criteria issued by PNU Scientific Council No. [151/12] in its twelfth session held on 17/5/1440 AH.
15. The scientific research and inventions resulting from this joint cooperation under this contract, which will be published in the future, shall be the property of Princess Nourah bint Abdulrahman University, with full scientific and legal responsibility by the researchers for the content they provide.
Future Pioneers Project's Financial Regulations:
1. The financial dues of research projects shall be delivered in two phases. The first phase represents 30% and shall be delivered after signing the contract. The second phase represents 70% and shall be delivered after the acceptance of the final report by the Deanship of Scientific Research's Council, according to the approved project's financial plan.
2. After receiving the due payments and submitting all the documents indicating that in accordance with the Scientific Research Regulations, the principal investigator (the Second Party) is committed to deliver all the financial payments to the research project members according to each member's role.
3. The remunerations of the research team shall be paid in accordance with Article (12) of the Unified Regulation of Scientific Research issued by the Council of Higher Education resolution which was endorsed by the Royal Order No. 7/b/4403 dated 2/4/1419 H
4. In case the research project is not completed for any reason and the Deanship of Scientific Research Council decides upon the recommendation of the Permanent Committee, the research project should be suspended, the contract with the principal investigator is canceled and the financial commitment expected to be disbursed to the principal researcher upon completion of the project shall be rescinded, and he shall return the disbursed amounts according to the Deanship of Scientific Research regulations.
for more information